Friday, November 5, 2010

Cold(s)

Well, it is definitely November here in Marburg.  Although it's been a little warmer the past few days (in the 40s instead of the 30s) it's still chilly, especially in the morning.  With the time change, it is pretty much pitch-black by 6 pm, and the trees are gorgeous.  The yellow leaves have mainly fallen all over the sidewalks (which makes them fun and slippery when it rains...which is almost every day) and the leaves left on the trees are dark, brownish orange or else a beautiful shade of purplish-red.  It's the dominant color when you look at a hillside, and I don't think I've ever seen leaves turn quite that color before.  Today I went shopping for winter shoes (although I didn't buy any) because it's so hilly and slick here.  I am worried about falling and my feet getting wet. 

Wednesday was a pretty typical Wednesday for me...lots of work.  On the bright side, Lizzie (MA) and I got pizza for lunch.  She showed me this place that serves very thin, crispy crusts with a thin layer of pizza sauce and gouda instead of mozzarella.  It was very good and very cheap.  The man who owns or co-owns the restuarant was our server, and he talked to us some about America.  He said he'd gotten a football scholarship to play at FSU but after being there almost a year, someone found out that he had played semi-professionally in Germany.  Although professional football in Europe is nothing like it is in America, he got kicked off the team and was threatened to have to pay back his scholarship, so he had to go back to Germany.  People in Marburg are usually very interesting and very willing to talk to you. 

On Wednesday night, I spent the night at Wehrda, which is a dorm complex in another town.  It's not part of Marburg, so they have the longest commute of all of us in the program.  We played cards and hung out.  Since the last bus leaves before midnight, it was nice that I could just stay there and not call a taxi. 

On Thursday, I felt sicker than before.  I have a cold, which I am trying to minimize.  I've been taking my vitamins and trying to get plenty of sleep.  I just feel so sluggish and achy the time, which makes things frustrating.  I was pretty lazy all day, except that I got pretty far ahead on my homework for my classes.  I need to keep doing research for my papers, but at least the readings are out of the way. 

Friday morning I got up and was determined to do something.  So, I went shoe shopping for several hours.  The streets are so slippery here already.  I'm afraid of falling, and I really need shoes with better traction and/or waterproofing.  I didn't buy anything.  Today was more just checking out the selection and doing some price-comparison, because there are some things in Germany I just have no idea about.  I also had to figure out my European shoe size.  Later, I went grocery shopping (at several stores), and bought a casserole dish.  I was also very enthused to see a box of brownie mix.  To christen my new bakeware, I made a pan of brownies (which were very yummy although not quite like American brownies...) and then made an auflauf.  I used pasta, veggies, and ground chicken.  Interestingly enough, the "chicken spices" I bought do taste very good on chicken. 

I've been having some strange American food cravings recently, and I've been getting really bored of having pasta/rice/potatoes with some form of veggies every night.  I think since I can use the oven I'm going to try some new things, but with me being sick and my tastebuds being a little off, it's not worth it at this point.  Here are some things I've been craving:  popcorn chicken, nachos (like the cheap kind you get at a swimming pool), pizza, hamburgers, popcorn, and most of all...Taco Bell!  What I wouldn't do for a Cheesy Double Beef Burrito...but I'm torturing myself now.  My stomach is very audibly growling.

After all of my cooking, I hung out with Bizz and Alejandro for a little bit.  I want to go to the flea market in Giessen tomorrow, but it's only open if it's not raining.  And, because it is always raining here, I'm not too hopeful.  Either way, I'll probably go to Marburg's Arts and Crafts market tomorrow.  I've done a good bit of Christmas shopping, but I'm always ready to do more!

Hope you all have a good weekend!  It's hard to believe mine is half-over... 

4 comments:

  1. Hope you are able to shake the cold soon and feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that you are still feeling poorly. Enjoy your baking

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! You had best get better because as soon as you get home, we're going to Taco Bell! My treat!!!!

    Also, I'm in love with the fact that you have a friend named Alejandro.

    Also also, I too found Germany shoes sizes confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog always makes me hungry. Get better!

    ReplyDelete