I seem to have a lot more time on my hands in the library than I thought I would! I finished my Food, Diet, and Globalization paper this morning and emailed it to my tutor to grade. I just have to polish the intro and conclusion for my Reproductive Health Policy paper, and then email that in, too. Yee haw! I am reaching the end of my class work!
At the same time, I am reaching the end of my time with my IUSP friends, which makes me very sad. I'll have to do a lot of travelling when I get back to the US, because I know I'll have plenty of places to stay. Last night, we went to the dunkel cafe. We went into a bar, then down a flight of stairs to a small landing. The menu was posted there, and you had to memorize your order. We were then taken down another flight of stairs that was pitch black (they used several layers of blackout curtains) and led to our table by our waiters, who were blind. We had no idea who was sitting next to us, so we had to ask and feel around to figure things out. The waiters took our order, and it was confusing to know who was getting what. I wasn't hungry, so I just ordered the "surprise drink". It ended up being a beer, which was fairly easy to figure out from the bottle and the taste. Some people got food (and some people stole the food under the protection of darkness!) and it was interesting for them to try to eat it. A few people even got soup, which was quite the challenge. Before we left, we had to pay for our food in the dark, which also involved fumbling around in my purse in the dark. I am pleased to say that I found the exact change on the first try. Evidently I am very familiar with the feel of money (even European money).
After that, Bizz and MollyEllen and I watched a movie and hung out for a while. I finally found my Hausfrau this morning, and I am supposed to check out at 8 am on Friday. I will have to do a lot of cleaning on Thursday, so I guess it's good I don't have class then. Today, I have class and tutorial, and tomorrow I have two tutorials. Then I am done! It's hard to believe it's the end of the semester already!
I don't know that I could trust food that I couldn't see! Sounds like a good time.
ReplyDeleteYou are right that having new friends from all over the world gives you a way to see other places when you visit them.
We are looking forward to seeing you soon.
To the Beckelhimers, have fun in Germany!
ReplyDeleteAnd to Emily, I have a sneaking suspicion who is the culprit food-snatcher. I seem to have some recollections of Towers dining hall...
A standard ploy in our family is to "point out an Elvis sighting" and when the unsuspecting victim looks away, some onion rings or fries go missing.
ReplyDelete